Thursday 24th November 2016

Almost winter, and a bird to savour.....

With the start of winter a few days away, life at Pembrey Burrows LNR is slowing down, the rush of the autumn seems to be over and there are fewer birds to be seen, a few hardier flowers are still in bloom, such as Ragwort and of course Western Furze.

But going back a day, the best bird seen yesterday was a male Hen Harrier, seen only for barely a minute but a stunner, so this today when I decided to have a stroll for the late afternoon high water I was delighted to see the same bird again.... or was it?






Yesterday I was happy to say that the bird was an adult male, today with better views the bird showed distinct barring to the innermost primaries and outermost secondaries, and a diffuse wing band on the upper wing due to the darker tips of inner greater and median coverts,making it a 2nd calendar year male, not a full adult, I guess its more likely I overaged the bird yesterday rather than there being two HH around. Comments welcome, as this  is the first adult(ish) male I have seen in the UK, although I've seen them in France.




I've not tried to upload a video before, I'm disappointed with the image on here, on my camera and laptop it is a lot nicer, but eh its only a bridge camera, and I dropped it again today!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?