The big thaw? Sunday 4th March 2018

Well that was it, the thaw has set in. Just as well as in such a short time the wildlife has started to suffer, as I mentioned in previous blogs there are a lot of displaced birds all along the coast.

This morning was still cold but with heavy rain and an easterly the snow has disappeared quite quickly, although it is still lying on parts of Cefn Sidan.

A 9.2m tide got me out of bed, I was shocked to find the road to the reserve along the marsh flooded,  I'm glad, I did there were hundreds of birds around, however before I got to enjoy them I noticed two black shapes in the wrong place AGAIN.


Access road flooded

Yes two Welsh Blacks had made a run for it from GF3 HOW?, we had checked the fencing on Wednesday and Thursday, then I saw that the top and middle strands on the fence along the marsh for about 15m were down in the water, (of course the area was under water due to the high tide).


Unbelievable the fence is down again

With my cowboy skills now honed I soon had the two wanderers back in the field and moved all of them further up the field.

I went and did some monitoring before putting on my leaky wellingtons to fix the fence.

On the bird front, 

PINTAIL 9, TEAL 100+, WIGEON 10, MALLARD 4, SHELDUCK 5, REDSHANK 80+, GREENSHANK 1, LAPWING 120, GOLDEN PLOVER 100+, REDWING 300+, FIELDFARE 50+ CURLEW 1, OYSTERCATCHER 2000+ DUNLIN 9; all in all not bad

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?