Remember those Lichens? 14th January 2017

I thought I had better at least try and identify the three Lichens I photographed in the last Blog, well I've established something... its not easy trying to remember detail.

First a little about lichens.

Lichens are unique in being composed of two organisms, algae and fungi which forms a close symbiotic association, symbiosis is a prolonged permanent contact between dissimilar organisms. In the case of lichen both the algae and fungi coexist in a state of controlled parasitism, one does not deprive the other of nutrients....nature is a clever master.

Without reposting the photographs, the first shows a Yellow lichen and a Grey lichen, the Yellow one is a Xanthoria sp, probably X Parietina.

And that's all you're getting for now, I'll pass to an expert!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?