Tuesday 25th October 2016

A mix of Summer and Winter.....

I made a late afternoon visit to the reserve, as it was my first opportunity for a few days, the light was quite nice with a mix of dark heavy clouds inland and crisp clear blue skies out in the bay.

I made a quick stop at pond 2 and was pleased to find, at last, Four Northern Shoveler, the first record for 2016 on the reserve making them species number 136, they were all female and didn't hang around long but only flew to the pond in the next enclosure. there were also five Teal, and two Pintail nice numbers of nice duck on what is almost a puddle sized pond.

I walked out to the eastern edge of the dunes and was pleased to find that the seasonal brackish pools have retained a lot of water after the high tides, it is clear that birds, probably ducks and waders, are using the pools (lots of preened feathers).



its a long walk to get to this area :-)


Making my way back to the information shelter two Barn Swallow flew overhead and headed East, the last of the year??

When I had unlocked the entrance barrier, out of the corner of my eye, I caught sight of a large white bird flying towards me, at the same time I caught the tail end of a large brown bird fly across my line of sight.

Having established that the white bird was a very well built adult Herring Gull my attention turned to what I hoped had been a Short-eared Owl, IT WAS....



Short-eared Owl

The owl was actively hunting the rough grass to the north of the entrance and made a couple of apparently unsuccessful dives into the grass. These birds are incredibly beautiful and my "bridge camera" photographs do it no justice at all, however I am happy to have been able to record the bird myself.

Short-eared Owl


One of the regular and, on side, dog walkers told me she had seen it at the same time yesterday evening....


There was some nice interaction with a male Sparrowhawk before the owl made its way towards the country park.

There has been an increase in avian predators in the last few weeks, and judging by the number of small mammals , (voles and mice particularly) I've noticed there should be enough for all this winter...........

Pure magic, I just need to get better photos before the end of the year

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?