Wednesday 20th January 2016

Ringing, Pembrey Burrows



An early start in sub-zero temperatures, and an unexpected breeze, saw me setting nets for Skylarks out on the dry ish
area on the marsh, I've been watching them leave the area at first light for a few days so thought I'd give them a go.

When I walked the area towards the net just before dawn there were at least 15 Skylarks which I moved from roost but with only myself I couldn't cover all bases and they flew off to my right well before the net.

Feeling frustrated I walked on to check the  obviously empty net, and in the bottom shelf there sat a Water Rail a really unexpected result

The Water Rail was duly processed and I aged it as a 5, an immature based on its white chin, leg colour and wing feathers.

This where you'd expect a nice photograph!!! well the batteries ran out so no photo.

The rest of the morning was very quiet and cold with the breeze steadily getting stronger.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?