Sunday 28 July 2024

Where are the insects!

 Bore da pawb,

It seems shockingly obvious to me that there is a lack of insects this summer, I have seen very few bumblebees and butterflies especially.

Llyn Llech Owain weather station
Was it the prolonged wet winter? which seems to have have started in August 23 and is only just ending. Since 1st January 24 our weather stations at Pembrey and Llyn Llech Owain country parks have, respectively, recorded 463.2mm and 1198.4mm of rain so far; that's a lot of rain...



My own theory is that with the ground saturated for so long and over wintering adult or larval invertebrates succumbed, the recent sunny days have seen an increase in butterfly numbers and species but I think we will need a couple of decent winters and springs to get numbers back on track



Continuing the theme of disappointment, the image here shows the pile of dog poo, I stopped counting at 75 bags, and beer bottles that I removed from one of our Local nature Reserves, all piled up waiting for the litter fairies to collect, I'll  not say anymore...




Sea Lavender
In other news, our salt marshes are looking stunning with the annual show of Sea and Rock Sea Lavender, no need to wander onto the heart of the marsh just follow the main path passed the bird hide and you will soon see what I mean




No comments:

Post a Comment

New pond

 Bore da Pawb, Its certainly had a feel of proper autumn with chilly mornings and warm afternoons. Its been such a full on week I couldn'...