2019, round up

Its been a while!

With 19 day still to run of 2019 I hope its not too early to post a round up of how the year has been for me.

There have been personal highlights, a few wildlife highlights as well as the humdrum that is daily life.

The death this week of the larger than life Dr David Bellamy has made me reflect on where my passion for the natural world started to blossom into life. I remember many of his TV shows and perhaps more importantly his passion for botany. I also remember the ITV? children's programme "Magpie" from the 70's which spurned me on to join the Young Ornithologists Club, even forming a local group based at the Afan Argoed Country Park, I was only 15 at the time.

There is no doubt that the influence of both my parents and their love of the countryside played in big part in my learning, I remember my bedroom decorated not with "pop star" posters but with collages of leaves and twigs from the local forest, things in jars, and dissecting Sprats bought from Maesteg Market. a great hands on childhood.

Well back to this year, much has been covered in the few blogs I have posted, but holidays to the Canary islands and Madeira have added nicely to the list of birds and marine creatures, the real gems were Houbara Bustards and Cream Coloured Coursers on Lanzarote; Bulwers Petrel off Madeira with Humpback Whales pick out a few of the best

Having enjoyed early semi-retirement for a few years I have been rewarded with a job that I absolutely love with the passion of an 18 year old, unfortunately my 58 year old body takes a differing view to my desire to get up and go!

Coordinator for volunteers and education, WOW what an opportunity to make the job my own, working with a great team to encourage volunteering across the Country Parks we manage and facilitating elements of the Welsh Schools Curriculum has brought me into contact with some wonderful people.

By the end of the year we will be just shy of 2000 volunteer hours since I took up my post in June, there has been a lot of litter picking but also plant surveys, path maintenance, hide painting, bird box making, sand moving, (always popular when you are a stones throw from the beach!) Christmas crafting and of course decorating "Sion Corn's" cabin.

I found myself a wonderful tutor for my Welsh Lessons- Stuart, I will learn one day!

There have been some odd visitors to the office.....


And lots of fun...... mostly at my expense

NADOLIG LLAWEN

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?