St Davids Day 1st March 2018

I don't hold with the "meteorological" spring starting today, for me it's still winter and judging by the weather I'm not wrong.

At Morfa Berwig all of the water courses are frozen over and the ground is like steel, great for the contractors on site carrying out Water Vole habitat management and some ditch clearance.


Along the Afon Goch, over shadowing Willows coppiced

The ditch along the A484 boundary

I filled the feeders with plenty of birds hanging around, I'll try and get there tomorrow to fill them up again.

It was off to Pembrey to check the condition of the ponds, which are the only source of drinking water for our conservation grazing cattle. With the stiff wind both ponds have open water, although one pond is frozen enough to walk on the ice, I know because I tried. The cattle are hardy breeds and looked fine this morning. The "swan Drain" has piles of ice on the banks
Field 2 pond now only a small area of open water, but the cattle can still drink


There were small groups of Lapwing hunkered down in the dunes, with the ground frozen ( it was -2'c at 11am ) they will struggle unless they move further afield.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?