Owls and Cows (or more correctly cattle) Saturday 9th December 2017

A late afternoon visit to Pembrey Burrows was rewarded with great views of TWO Short-eared Owls, 

They had been seen earlier by Colin Dalton, who joined me in the hut to enjoy the birds hunting, displaying and chasing off a Sparrowhawk , one of two seen right outside the hut, one even landed on my water height post!

Photographs and videos were nigh on impossible for me this afternoon, I just couldn't get the birds in focus long enough to press the shutter, I'm sure Colin will share some of his photos in the next few days.

Colin casually mentioned two things, A MERLIN seen earlier and that he had seen the fence in F3 broken!, I had made a mental note that I hadn't seen the five bullocks on my way in.

I tore myself away from the owls to first bump into Ray Woods another photographer, then to discover the fence was in fact damaged with tell tale hoof prints and cow pats on the wrong side of the fence ! WHY WHY!

A climb to the top of a sand dune and I spied two of the escapees, a word with a couple of horse riders, who casually mentioned the cattle had been on the BEACH but had headed back onto the dunes, and all five appeared......

Some cattle wrangling driving a rattle of a bin bag and a hand from a passing member of the public saw the five eventually back in their field.

A full afternoon but great birds logged thanks to the visiting photographers, 
MERLIN, KESTREL, SPARROWHAWK, SEO, RAVEN.

Following doctors orders can be fun...........



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?