Shorties show up Sunday 26th November 2017

I have been reading reports on the Carmarthenshire Bird Club sightings pages of a Short-eared Owl being seen on the reserve at Pembrey.

This evening I took myself off to see if I could get to grips with this magical owl, sure enough around 15:30 an Owl appeared, my attention being drawn to it by a couple of birders who were out on the marsh!

When I wandered over to have a chat I could see that there were TWO Short-eared Owls hunting over the lower marsh I love "shorties".

Short-eared Owl,
(I wish it was my photograph)

There was some interaction between one of the owls and the local male Kestrel, but I don't think they need to fight over food as my feelings are that there is a good supply of Voles.

Last year the owls only paid fleeting visits to the reserve, presumably wandering over from "Glamorgan", lets hope they stay longer this year.

Probably the best place to see them from is the information hut in the middle of the reserve, or along the path which runs along the edge of the Sea Buckthorn and the edge of the marsh, late afternoon is likely to be the best time.

The bird list for the reserve is a bit light this year at only 126 species V 141 last year, please remember to submit any bird records for the reserve to the CBC sightings page or send a list in the comments box on the blog.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?