Cast ashore part 2 Sunday 26th March 2017

After yesterdays adventure on Cefn Sidan I returned again this morning for another look at the strandline, the weather was not as pleasant as yesterday with a stiff easterly blowing into my face but still a great walk.

There were far fewer By-the-wind Sailors on the beach, but today I managed to collect a couple of samples, always useful to show visitors on our guided events.

I may need to revise my identification of the Cuttlefish bone from yesterday as today I found several more which are clearly the Pink Cuttlefish Sepia ordignyana  the "spine" is much larger, and the whole "bone" has a pink flush.

The Common Razor Shell Ensis ensis had a species of Hydroid growing from it.

After much deliberation I'm also now happy with a positive identification of Prickly Cockle Acanthocardia echinata, (not as labelled in the photo)



On the bird front a ♂ Merlin was still terrorising the local pipit population, and a new bird for the site for 2017 was found in the form of a pair of Gadwall on one of the ponds.


Gadwall, ♀ on left ♂ on right

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?