Rainbows in ice 3rd January 2017

Winter has it's grip on the Pembrey Burrows reserve, with very few signs of life.

A cold crisp day with a walk along the length of Cefn Sidan bordering the reserve, with low water at 15:30, there were few signs of life the exception being a Stonechat which made its way along the beach keeping a few metres in front of me for most of the walk.


Common Stonechat

To be frank there was very little else to be seen, even when I made my way back into the dunes the best I could muster were a few Song Thrushes, and the odd Little Egret.

Looking west along the beach my eye was caught by an unusual sight of an "ice rainbow", I expect there's a more correct term, I believe this happens when the sunlight refracts through the ice crystals in the Cirrus clouds which were forming above me.


Ice rainbow?

What ever its called it was brief but interesting, just shows you need to look up sometimes.

There are some patches of Ivy, especially along the main track to the information shelter, the berries are enjoyed by the birds and there is a nice display at the moment.

Ivy berries



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?