Saturday 3rd December 2016

Hungry Gannets...


I arrived at Pembrey LNR around 08:30hrs, a different day indeed with overcast skies and a steady easterly breeze blowing, after checking the cattle, all 37 present and correct, I wandered over to the beach.

With a choppy sea it looked fairly quiet in the estuary, then I turned to look out towards the west, WOW all I could see were a mass of Gannets.
I couldn't get a decent count from where I was standing so I jogged, well walked very fast, along the edge of the dunes to a better vantage point.

I could see good numbers of Gannets sat on the sea, with many still diving to feed, a accurate count of the first 180, still left many uncounted, there were in excess of 250 birds in the flock including a good percentage of 1st year birds. I attempted a couple of videos but they were a bit too far away, I was going to delete the video but decided that with some imagination you get a few seconds of Gannets:-)





Walking back to the van The ♂ Hen Harrier showed well, with a very swift flight into the headwind and lots of twists and turns as it looked for prey.

Another attempt at a video was a Grey Heron, the sound is switched off on my camera, no idea how to switch it back on!!






A good mammal record this morning came in the form of a Pygmy Shrew, with its smaller size, (90mm max), darker fur, and lack of chestnut tones distinguishing it from the Common Shrew.


Pygmy Shrew


Even on a grey morning plenty to see, just get out there no matter where you live.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?