Let me explain.... Sunday 15th July 2018

There can be no doubt that working outdoors, no matter what the weather, is a most rewarding occupation.

People often comment to me "what a great job you have", "you're so lucky" "what a great office", "driving around all day that's nice"; let me explain the reality

When you see me, or any of the Outdoor Recreation Team, rangers, park staff, maintenance ,and the managers driving around you can bet that we are not on a "jolly".
Granted when I'm on the reserves I can really enjoy the wildlife, spend an hour pottering around, making notes watching the wildlife yes its great; but it's not all roses so here is my (our) day today.

After checking the reserve and pottering around I went into Pembrey Country Park and met up with the duty manager.

We caught up with jobs that didn't get done on Saturday such as some bins (they fill up magically overnight!), patrolled the beach cleaning up more litter from last night, then off to CE53 to clear what is in essence fly tipping by the beach-goers. After a well deserved cuppa, although some of us had a breakfast roll - not me! we got on with other tasks, talking to visitors etc, 


Then: forgotten which order though......


A burst waste water pipe quickly resolved with appropriate procedures in place

Cover a colleagues' lunch break

Bins checked and emptied (I emptied one set of bins four times between 3pm and 8pm)

With BBQ's and fires still banned we kept patrolling the park and yes I found a family oblivious to the ban (despite signs and verbal instructions at the barrier) happily BBQing away, all sorted.

More patrolling, talking to visitors (one lovely couple from Kent plenty of locals)

Then a road traffic accident on the approach road, directing traffic as the Police had no spare officers!, I left my colleagues to it and went back in the park -----oh another family BBQing!

I think we had lunch at some point....

Then the RNLI needed help as the tide began to lap around their tyres with the battery in the 4x4 flat!!!

And then another issue which needed resolving but is not appropriate to blog about.

So yes its a great job, great team, great fun but easy it is not...…

I'm sure something else happened but for some reason I cannot remember what !


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?