When is a Heron not a Heron Sunday 17th June 2016

I'm really enjoying my paid job with the Outdoor Recreation Service (ORS) not quite as nature focussed as my volunteer role but still---- a job is what you make of it...

This afternoon I was eating my lunch at the beach entrance in the country park when a visitor approached and let me know that there was a "Heron" on the beach that couldn't fly.

A rescue to brighten an otherwise very quiet day... I called on Oliver the duty ranger while I set off on foot westwards along the beach, ignoring the black rucksac on the beach (I'll come back to that) Oliver duly arrived along with Mandy from the campsite in search of the "Heron" nothing to be found so we headed back, as we approached the black rucksac it moved or rather lifted its head... our Heron was in fact a Cormorant. a quick chase, (yes I chased it along the beach) and it was caught. Cleary not in the best condition we took it into care, the first thing I noticed was that it was ringed with a British ring, it perked up a little while in a box after contacting the RSPCA, Oliver handed the bird into their care.


This is the most flattering photo thanks Oliver!
I have already discovered that the Cormorant was originally ringed as a nestling (pulli) in 2015, I should find out where soon and I'll update you.

Whilst out and about I noticed 100'sof Toadlets leaving the main pond in the forest, difficult not to drive over them.....

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?