Honest mr ranger, I was just walking my dogs! Saturday 4th March 2017

When I arrived on site this morning I  noticed a red Land-rover Defender which I had not seen before and thought mmmm!

A well intended member of the public stopped me about an hour later and told me that they had seen two men in camouflage jackets, with two Lurchers and two terriers, acting suspiciously.

Sure enough after a bit of searching I could see the Lurchers hunting around the dunes and the two men. Although I never saw them actually chase any Rabbit or Hare I had seen enough to think they were up to no good.

I drove over to them and sat in the van waiting for them to walk to me which they did, I've heard all the excuses before but they were reasonable guys and when told to put all the dogs on leads they did.

They were not happy being "hassled" but didn't argue, I always try and engage people first let them know why the conversation is taking place, then if appropriate educate them, so the education this morning was
"its a nature reserve, with a  zero tolerance policy on hunting and shooting, its not about hunting as a sport, its about hunting on a nature reserve...don't do it if you don't want hassle".
There was no need for enforcement as they left, oh plus I have their vehicle registration number it was the red Land-rover!

On a different note I was at Morfa Berwig yesterday to meet Simeon on site, the contractors have been in clearing the ditches, WOW what a job they've done.




It looks drastic but it has improved the drainage to alleviate flooding further down the water course as well as opening up areas for invertebrates and of course the Water Vole will have more range to expand. In a few months time the vegetation will have recovered and it will be looking good.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?