Tuesday 1st November

Ups and downs, disappointments and surprises....

Every day that I turn up at Pembrey Burrows reserve, I wonder what I am going to find, something unusual, a surprise maybe a new bird or insect; in the back of my  mind is always the thought "what have the humans been up to...".

Yesterday was no exception so when I got to the information shelter and noticed the tide tables had been moved and the leaflet dispensers were mixed up I knew something odd had happened.

This thought was confirmed when I found some of the information signs had holes in them, made by air rifle pellets, then the bits of chipped wood lying on the floor confirmed that some git had been using the shelter for target practise......

Despite being disappointed I guess that I should be grateful that its the first incident in nearly twelve months, so I replaced the damaged signs and wait with anticipation.

Today a new day and a new month, a cooler feel and a light Easterly breeze soon found the reserve to be raptor heaven.

I noticed that the flocks of Starlings, & Goldfinches, along with the other birds on the marsh were "on edge", it soon became apparent as a male Peregrine swept over the top of the reeds, a Kestrel watching from a dead tree and a Buzzard floating by.

Within a few minutes order was restored, but not for long as a very large very dark raptor appeared to the alarm calls of the Magpies and Carrion Crows, a look at the bird confirmed a long overdue MARSH HARRIER, judging by the very dark plumage an immature bird which  quickly disappeared into the reeds. Of course I didn't have my camera to hand, so an interent photo for those of you unfamiliar with this great bird.

Marsh harrier, the bird seen today was darker than this individual with a smart cream crown
(photo,  internet unnamed source )

As if that wasn't enough four Red Kites drifted in from the estuary and after a few minutes continued inland to the North.

A real raptor fest!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?