Sunday 13th November 2016

Effort pays off, up with the Larks....

Being a sand dune reserve, there are good numbers of Skylark wintering, probably joining the already strong breeding population.

I have toyed with the idea of trying to catch and ring Skylarks for a few months, finally I bit the bullet and having found what looked like the perfect spot, a disused car park which is now very weedy surrounded by sand dunes, I put thought in to action.

So it was yesterday evening that I set out the positions of the nets for an early morning session today.

On site at 05:30hrs, to put up the nets, the poles and guys were where I had left them!, when all was set  some very loud Skylark song was played and I retired to the van.

I checked the nets carefully and was amazed to find a Wren in the bottom pocket and a few metres away a SKYLARK. Relatively few Skylark are ringed each year so it was good to be able to handle this iconic bird.



Skylark



Skylark (VH)

I was joined by my able "scribe" Veronica and after a busy net round with mainly Goldfinches, and a deserved cup of coffee we went back to the nets to find another Skylark, this time nearer the top of the net, I'm guessing that due to the cunning set of the net it hadn't time to lift over and evade the net, so TWO SKYLARKS in one session, I'm well pleased.

In 2015, a total of 582 Skylark were ringed in the UK, of these 345 were pullus, (nestlings), in the same year 99 were ringed in Wales 16  were pullus

I have to thank Matt Prior, or as some ringers know him "trapper" Prior, he  is a first class ringer, and has an incredible talent for working out the best way to catch most species, and gave useful advice prior to the session and yes, there was a "dogleg" in my net set........

The morning panned out with the following birds caught and ringed, Goldfinch (14), Linnet (11),  Chaffinch (4), three each of Wren, Meadow Pipit and Greenfinch with a Blue Tit and a Dunnock completing a nice session of 42 birds.

What next?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Tern of events Sunday 7th April

SLOW WORM fest..

Carmarthenshire - Did you Know?